Argot (pronounced 'are-go) is a free Android application that allows you to bookmark locations using GPS. The bookmarks can then be organized and used for small-scale navigation (e.g. finding your car in a parking lot, or marking a meetup location in an unfamiliar neighborhood).
ArgotPlus is the pay version that allows you to import you existing bookmarks and adds the following features:
- Add custom Tags to bookmarks and filter the bookmark list by tags.
- View bookmarks that are in the neighborhood of another bookmark.
- Open the map for a bookmark's location.
- Display the relative direction of each bookmark in the bookmark list.
ArgotPlus is being actively developed with many more featured planned.
Some features only available in ArgotPlus.
The bookmark list
The bookmark list can be sorted by either the bookmark name, the bookmark's proximity to your current location, or the date and time that the bookmark was created. Measurements can be displayed in either metric or English units. When bookmarks are sorted by proximity, the cardinal direction (north, south, east, or west) is displayed for each (ArgotPlus). Bookmarks in the list can be filtered by any combination of tags (ArgotPlus).
- Sort column
- Filter tags (ArgotPlus)
- Units of measurement - Used for distance to each bookmark
- Timeout accuracy, Location timeout - When sorting by proximity, used to limit how long to wait for an accurate GPS reading before calculating bookmark distances
The navigation screen displays the direction and distance of the bookmarked location, along with the accuracy of the GPS signal of both the bookmark (when it was saved) and your current location.
- Units of measurement - Used for start and destination accuracy, and distance
The edit screen
The edit screen allows you to set the name, set the GPS location, view the GPS accuracy, set tags (ArgotPlus), and view neighboring bookmarks (ArgotPlus).
- Units of measurement - Used for bookmark GPS accuracy
- Neighbor distance (ArgotPlus) - Used to determine maximum distance between bookmarks to make them neighbors
- Minimum accuracy, maximum accuracy - Used to define the range represented in the accuracy progress bar
The tag screen (ArgotPlus)
The tag screen allows you to add and delete bookmark tags. Tags can be used singly or in combinations to filter a long list of bookmarks (e.g. filter by
#work). When bookmarks are imported from Argot, they are tagged
The Settings screen contains the About page (containing contact URLs and emails) and Version history (containing what features were added for each version). Argot basic has an Upgrade button to take you directly to ArgotPlus in the Android Market. The upgrade dialog will display once on startup on each version change. ArgotPlus has a check box property that will be checked in previous bookmarks have been imported. You can uncheck it to force ArgotPlus to try to re-import those bookmarks.
This is an issue with any application, such as basic compass apps, that relies on the phone's magnetic field sensor. The YouTube video Best Compass Calibration Method (iPhone/G1/etc.) provides simple instructions on how to calibrate that sensor in your phone.